Saturday, May 22, 2010

So, here's the deal...

We are moving to Seattle. After a stressful couple of weeks trying to figure out doctor stuff, job stuff, apartment stuff, school stuff...etc etc, we have decided this:

I am deferring my enrollment to Columbia College Chicago for a year. We want to be close to family and friends when the baby comes (and before). I think that we just realized how important this was, and while we could've done it in Chicago, we decided that a year of not being in school will be a breath of fresh air. Plus, I can adjunct and build up my CV, writing stuff that I've been putting off, really push The Story Thief to agents and presses, and the most important things of all: Be a father and a husband. It's gonna be a busy year, but we think that being in Washington, close to people we love, we will have the support we need. So, when we move to Chicago in August/September of 2011, we will have gotten our fill of NW (we took it for granted and didn't realize how important it was to us, so now we will drink it in for as long as we're there).
*
We leave here on Wednesday. Crazy. We mostly have to pack the kitchen and clothes. The rest is "bigger stuff." Em and I will be making the drive alone--well, except Indie will be riding with us too!! We were supposed to stay till the 31st, but now we just want to get out of here.
*
There's a sense of relief we're feeling right now. I'm bummed I don't get to go to school right away, and bummed I don't get to hang out with the people I was supposed to hang out with this summer in Chicago, but seeing my friends and fam in Seattle will be great. That and getting our asses up to B'ham for some fucking FOOD! Wasabee! Pepper Sisters! Old Town! Harris Ave! Avenue Bread! The Bagelry (putting my boycott aside) Mallards! Boundary Bay! Mambo! Nimbus! Daisy Cafe! Bloom (the new vegan restaurant!) Casa Que Pasa! Fiamma Burger! La Fiamma Pizza! Tony's Coffee! I'm sure there's more, but I think a couple days up there might be enough to hit all of these...and more...oh man, oh man!!

Plus some of us are going to see Inception! I'm so STOKED! OMG and all the music, all the shows! I'm excited! What's going on for the 4th? What's going on for my birthday (June 26th)! I'm thinking some of us (you know who you are) will have to get together and talk about our writing (among other things!).
*
OK. that's enough, but we'll be in Washington by Friday at the latest. And on the West side in the following week. I'll see you all soon!
*
Love,
Joshua

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really jealous that for your birthday we get to be in WA having fun, and for my birthday we get to...pick up the U-Haul and start loading it. Blah :-( Isn't that typical?

Chelsea said...

Haha. I'm sorry, Emily. (But I know the feeling...my birthday this year was a rainy Monday in Scotland where I had to work all day, and Matt's will be a summer day in Bellingham. Uh, totally fair).

Ian D said...

Yay! Soon you will be here, and we will be hanging and nerding out over books and movies. Emily: just imagine that your birthday present is a return to the northwest!