Sunday, May 16, 2010

Moon and Stuff

Em and I watched Moon (with Sam Rockwell) last night. It's a fantastic film. Great, true sci-fi. If you haven't, see it. Free play on Netflix right now. So, check it.
*
We also watched a documentary called "The Business of Being Born" about the state of birth in this country. It's eye-opening, and for me, pretty fucking emotional. Could be that Em and I are about to have a kid, but man, I'm telling you. There's something amazing about watching birth...maybe I just kept picturing what going down in October...OK. So, this isn't like in that fucking Health class, where you watch a birth, fucking Leone-close-up. No, this is different. I don't know. Check it if you like.
*
I'm trucking through The Story Thief. It's coming along. I'm over half-way with my minor revisions. Then I'll be sending it to some folks for some readings, as well as sending it out to a few publishers and agents.
*
I'm also working on revising When the Wolves Quit, and writing poetry. I'm on a roll in some regards, but the more I write, the more the project(s) build into something bigger than I expected. Don't you hate when that happens? Man, I'm done with fiction for a while (besides TST). I think I'm gonna finish a revision I'm working on, submit it, and get it out. I wanted to submit this story to Tin House, but they're doing a mysterious-submissions call (or something along those lines)...and I'm gonna end up sending in some stuff from Wolves. Hey, if you have something Mysterious...check out the sub. guidelines at Tin House.
*
I'm reading Lamb by Christopher Moore (It's about Jesus and his best friend Biff...it's rad so far).

I just finished With Deer by Aase Berg (a translation). It's rad, like RIGHT up my alley. Like seriously...like almost too much up my alley...

That's all for now. I should be posting on a blog called Master of Fine Eats soon. I'll put the link up when I post.

Later dudes and dudettes,
Joshua

4 comments:

Dave said...

1) Told you Moon was good.

2) Lamb sounds awesome.

3) The Miracle of Life video was so traumatizing at age 14 that it gave me a case of inverted penis which lasted for the rest of high school.

Joshua Young said...

Dave, you would love Lamb. I mean I'm not that far in, but so far, you'd love it. And yes, you did tell me Moon was good, and I was gonna watch it, but I wasn't that stoked. Em really wanted to watch it, and I wanted to watch a bunch of other flicks, but half-way through she was like, "See I told you you would like it."

The miracle of life: Yes, for me too. But there was something about this flick that didn't do that to me.

Laters
J

Chelsea said...

Baaaaaaaaaabies. Gross.

Ian D said...

Dude, my parents' house is like baby central right now. They now have two grandkids and are stoked. Commence the babyproofing! And yeah, Moon was totally sweet. Wish I had seen it when it was at the Pickford. Ah well.