Thursday, May 6, 2010

Double Downs and A Sweet Potato










First of all, Ian Denning doubled-downed at KFC. Enough said.
*
Yes, this post is about a sweet potato. A few weeks back I bought a sweet potato and I didn't cook with it, because, well, I got a whole bunch of other food that I wanted to cook, so I left it. Then it started sprouting and I thought, "I'll throw it away tomorrow." But the next day it had grown a bunch more, so I thought, "I'm gonna see if it gets bigger." Well, it did. Now, it's pretty big. Look close, you can see how tall these little vines have been. Fiction writers, here's an exercise: Write a story about a sweet potato that grew too much, rapidly, and took over someone's kitchen. There must also be a cardboard box, a loaf of bread, and a pair of boots in the story. OK. there you go.
*
We're looking for Chicago Apartments. It's slow going, but we got a lot of leads. We were thinking Rogers Park, but I think we're shooting for something closer to campus so that I'm not so far away from home, what with the baby and all. So, we're looking for places in Lakeview and Andersonville (and other neighborhoods in those areas). We're really excited to be in Chicago during the summer, and even more so that this will be our home for the next couples years, maybe more. We'll see.
*
I'm excited to start the program at Columbia and excited to meet the poets and profs whom I haven't met.
*
OK. Time to clean up the house and stuff.
Keep it real,
Stay clean,
Joshua

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

You should plant that potato before you move. Or hide it somewhere for the next tenants.

Joshua Young said...

Under the sink!

Ian D said...

Dude, sweet potato.

I couldn't resist. Also, my body doesn't know whether to be stoked about the massive infusion of delicious, delicious protein, or to panic at all the grease and feel like total shit. I've been going back and forth all day. Right now the 'feeling like shit' side is winning.

Joshua Young said...

Dude, it's gonna take four days to get that out. Eat a lot of greens, get that out!

BTW. I just read your stories again, commencing on the notes...and Smudges is a fantastic story...probably my favorite story you've written...so well written!

Anyway, expect an email soon.
Later