Thursday, February 4, 2010

I can't smell what's cooking

I can't smell anything, 'cause I got a cold. But that's OK, it doesn't feel so bad and there's no reason to be down, because Chelsea just got into the PhD program at St. Andrews! Way to go! I knew you would, but still...AWESOME. I'm sure most of you who read this already know, but still...Too bad, they'll probably never come back to the states, although, by the looks of things who knows how long we'll want to stay. I'm moving to Denmark bitches! Not really, but hey, who knows what's gonna happen...
*
I've been writing a lot of fiction and revising a bunch of the poems I wrote over the break. thanks to Ian, I got a lot of good notes for the Story Thief, and I came up with some fucking sick ideas (a few Ian already knows, and a couple more that will blow your socks off...I'm so stoked about what I did, I'm shaking right now).
*
I just got news back that my novel Bumping was at the table for a small publisher, but in the end, the decision to accept was split down the middle. They apparently liked it, but the "screenplay-style" of the narrative ultimately pushed half the room away from it. Yeah, yeah. I write screenplays, but I wrote this Goddamn book before screenplays. I was just writing in a minimalist style (like Bret Easton Ellis, Jay McInterny, Carver, etc...) But I guess it's easier to link it to a screenplay. I get it. Totally, I just wish that someone would find the benefit in that kind of understatement. Well, onto the next. Currently, it's out to at least five other small presses. Though, I have a feeling that The Story Thief will be a lot easier to sell...due to its content, style, and intended continuing story. That's fine. I've got some time. I'm going to start sending out To The Chapel of Light and When the Wolves Quit in the next couple weeks, to contests and publishers. Fingers crossed everyone, fingers crossed.
*
We were supposed to get the Wire Season two disk one today, but instead Whatever Works slid up to the top! I don't know how that happened! But it's OK. We'll watch it and admire the Woody Allen/Larry David comedy machine and send it back. Man. I can't wait for the Wire. I'm getting all crazy about it.
*
So, I've got one episode of Dexter Season 3, then it's on to Season 4. If you haven't seen Dexter, fucking get on it. So good. Soo Goood. Sooo Goooood.
*
It's been hard to write short stories. I have to write another one for my workshop. I'm just not a story guy. I like projects and it's hard to rip myself from those projects. Any ideas? Somebody throw me an idea. Something realist that i can meld into a Magical Real sort of story. I'm think like Ian's thesis (this note might only be for Ian). Maybe something with guns and relationships.
*
The Girl in the Glass Skirt - Ali Shaw (Read it) Great book, great ending.
Lost in the City - Edward Jones Great collection of short stories about DC
The Girl in the Flammable Skirt - Great Magical Real Collection

Right now I'm reading Gimpel the Fool and other stories by Isaac Basgevi Singer. It's weird and cool. easy to read.

And I'm also reading books of poems
The Lama's English Lessons by Tony Trigilio
The Book of Whispering in a Projection Booth by Joshua Marie Wilkinson
Howl Allen Ginsberg

Love you
Joshua

5 comments:

Ian D said...

Dude, I'm in a story dry spell too. Want to write magical realism stuff, instead just pumping through my novel (when I have time). If I think of any story ideas, I'm keeping 'em. Sorry.

Headlights and Vapor trails said...

Understood Ian, it's probably a good idea, i've already been known to cannibalize what you've written--the map ;-o

how is the program going? what classes are you in this semester?

later dude

Ian D said...

Yeah, but you put it to a way cooler use, so it's legit. I'm in workshop, a creative nonfiction essay class (basically just means he doesn't want us to write memoir), and a form and technique class where we read writers writing about writing (John Gardner, Ann Lammott, Charles Baxter, etc. Pretty sweet stuff). Program is going good, but busy. My workshop only has seven people and a fast turn around, so we're turning in 15-20 page stories every third week. How's your program? That's crazy to hear about Bumping dude. Good luck placing it with another press!

Headlights and Vapor trails said...

Program's OK. It's nice taking fiction classes. And it looks like our poetry workshop will be good. The problem is that the workshops are so big, there's not a lot of turnaround. That's ok for fiction, but poetry, I would like more. However, we are working on 20 poems over the course of the semester, so that's just fine. That form and tech class seems cool. Man, I gotta tell you. I feel like I know nothing about poetry in comparison to fiction. I know how to write poetry, but not really how to talk about it that well. I always have to put it in fiction or film terms...it's gonna get old. I heard Baxters book on writing fiction is pimp. You should check out Boswell's "Half Known World" sick!

Man you would totally love this magical realism class. You'd be all over it like stink on a cow.

Well, keep at it, and if you want to send some of those writings you do for workshop and shit, feel free to send 'em.

Later
J to the Izza

Chelsea said...

Thanks, Josh! Really, you should be thinking about all the years you'll have to come visit us now!!! Let's talk (via the internets, of course) soon - I want an update on some things with you! Love you guys :)