Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Future Lived in Past Tense




I just started listening to the band Juno again. Do not get this confused with the movie. It is not the movie, but a Seattle band I first head in like '99 (think about that) at a place called RK CNDY (which i think is now a parking lot for 24 hour fitness next to the Graceland. I think it closed down a month or two after I saw the show. I know Botch--amazing band--played the last show there). Anyway. The band were: Pele, Juno, Burning Airlines (J. Robbins), and The Promise Ring. We stood upstairs and all the cigarette smoke stung my eyes, and I vowed I'd never smoke, even though I was pretty much planning on never smoking anyway--I thought I'd be a college wrestler. I laugh at it all now. Anyway, the show was amazing. I loved all the bands, but I was mostly in love with Juno. I had never heard of them and they had three guitars and they were spitting on the stage and rocking out. Anyway, I started listening to them again. My poetry prof Richard Greenfield and I have been exchanging CD's (mostly he was just burning some for me and I was giving him some to rip). So, I ran into him the other day and I said, "Hey have you heard of the band Juno?" He said, "Yeah, only me and you have ever heard of them. No one's heard of them." So, we talked about them, and I just burned him their second record "A Future Lived in Past Tense." Listen to that (or their first record) while writing, it's really awesome. Some people say it's hard to write when music has lyrics. I don't agree, but if you do agree, you should listen anyway, cause it's spacey and rocky and really good.
*

Indie's got an vet appointment coming up. After spending some much time and cash on Indie and the vet when we first got her, it's nice to know that this will be quick and easy. She's sleeping in her bed with her cute pink blanket.
*
It looks like I might be going to AWP after all. I've got a few options for rides up there. So, I'm just seeing if any of these work. Kenny, Ian, and Chas have been harassing me (thanks guys), and Emily was like, "If you can get up there, Go!" I'm stoked: Chabon, Wilkinson, and a ton of others I can't think of off the top of my head. Now, I will see Chabon after having some weird dreams about being his close friend at a writer retreat. Maybe it will come true, maybe he'll give me a hug.
*
I just submitted my second book of poems When The Wolves Quit to a press. And I'm sending out To the Chapel of Light to a contest tomorrow. I'm stoked. I really like both of these presses and I think they're good fit, but we'll see what they think.
*
Been writing a bunch for the Story Thief. I got some real good stuff and I can't wait to get it down on computer, then go back through the novel with some edits. I'm hoping to have my next draft done within the month. I feel like this revision (thanks to Ian's notes) has forced me to go back and dig into the past of these characters, to really tie in the loose ends I hoped to tie together in later books in the trilogy/saga. But I think he's right, and if I tie up the loose ends that I have, it will provide more interesting histories and futures to explore in later books. The second book is starting to form in my head (and notes) it's gonna be crazy, almost post-apocalyptic.
*
In poetry, I've been trying not to write a project, but I've been writing a project. My prof, Carmen, told me I'm not allowed to turn in a project packet next round, so I wrote about Bellingham and Las Cruces. I wrote about the Royal and that stabbing that took place. I wrote about my friends, and my family, and my wife and my dog. Not about my project. I'm actually excited about these new poems. they're way different.
*
I've been submitting a lot of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry to journals, getting rejections (nice and form--no mean) and send them back out.
*
While I was at the gym today, I was listening to Juno and I happened to see Fox News and all it's bullshit. I just can't stand that they're considered news. And that's all I have to say. I was getting pissed in the thirty seconds I actually watched (read the subtitles). So, enough. No reason to get mad about idiots who know they're idiots. It's entertainment anyway so who gives a fuck.
*
OK. Fiction workshop is still kind of stupid. Well, a couple people are really stupid. And everyone else knows they. One guy doesn't belong in graduate school and doesn't belong writing. He's harmful to the workshop and comments on stories based on what people said about his. Fucking Bush League. That's all I have to say about that (actually I have a lot more to say, but I don't want to get all worked up).
*
Matt and Chelsea. I will get on gchat soon. Maybe tomorrow. And we'll talk.

Here's a sunset to check out. I gotta say, the sunsets, man, the sunsets!

Well, I'm off to bed.
Later and love,
Joshua

4 comments:

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Enough lies. You don't like Burning Airlines and furthermore display an unfounded contempt towards all music involving J. Robbins (remember that you sold the self-titled Jawbox record, the exact copy which I in turn bought secondhand at EM). All I can say is that you need to go listen to "Savory" and learn the error in your ways.

(Definitely had to repost this because I accidentally confused Jawbreaker with Jawbox. Can't go out like a chump.)

Chelsea said...

Yeah. Get on gchat. I miss you.

Headlights and Vapor trails said...

Dave. I never said I liked burning airlines. They were weird and their drummer looked like a convict (and you know my scared, sheltered christain ass didn't like that). Though, that jawbox record is good and "Savory" is a great song, however, it was not suiting my needs and i sold it, and you bought it. And that my friend is how the world works.
Chelsea. Soon and very soon.
Dave again. Only you would mixed up Jawbreaker and Jawbox. just kidding, everyone would. I've done it, but Dear You is sick.