Friday, February 26, 2010

It's Friday.

I miss this. A lot. I miss having the Sound right down the street. Oh, Chuckanut!
*
I thought I'd throw up a crazy sunset pic.
It's crazy how it looks like there's something burning on the horizon.
*

I just got back from the gym and I'm all showered and ready to go watch either The Orphan or The Orphanage (either way, I'll probably piss my pants) with some of Em's work friends. Right now though, Blades of Glory is on. Yeah, I'm not really watching it. Indie's digging in her bed like it's some kind of lawn.

Anyway, I just finished Season 2 of the Wire, and Season 3 is on it's way. I want to write about what I think, but I think I'm gonna wait till I finish the series. Whattcha think? I've got some ideas about where I think they're headed, but I don't want to jinx it, I want to see if it happens. But man the show gets better and better.
*

I'm about to read a novel of a friend's friend called Apathy and Paying Rent by Zach Vandezande. It sounds cool and looks cool. If I was judging a book by its cover, I would buy it and read it. I've judged a few books by their cover, and let me tell you, I'm 5-7. Not bad if you ask me. Pretty cool looking, actually.
*
I've been thinking about something lately. I'm not a short story writer. In fact, most of my short stories, turned into a novel. In fact, every short story except for maybe four have been turned into a novel. All the other stories I've written never make it to a final draft. I read that John Irving isn't a short story writer either. Says that he just get to emerged into the characters, their histories, and place that he can't just write a small piece out them (or he said something like that). I think I could write novellas, though. Actually, I have a short story, that'll probably turn into either a novel or novella. Speaking of novels, I worked on The Story Thief some more today. I had this road trip part that was basically a bunch of snapshots over the course of a month, but thanks to Ian's suggestions, I dug into each scene and wrote the shit out of it. Now they are scenes, and they mean something. They're not just passing time, they're doing something, they're adding to the characters to the tension, to the final showdown. Though, the showdown is still pretty normal, real. I've got an idea about this cigarette pack (those who know what I'm talking about will be pleased) and it has to do with Chad the fox and other animals in the story. Anyway, I'm writing a lot, and I'm keeping up with my school work (not like that's hard) , so I've been able to sink back into the novel. Funny thing, my magical realism class is not really allowing me to focus on the novel, but it is getting me to think outside that fucking boring realism box. I'm pretty stoked about what I've been writing and reader. We're onto Beloved right now. I need to brush up on it again. That book is amazing, but dense.
*
Anyway, I'm heading out. Have a good weekend.
Love and Guns
Joshua

2 comments:

Ian D said...

I'm writing a magical realism short story right now. Ha.

Headlights and Vapor trails said...

Yes! If you want, I would love to read it when done!