Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why is there always one person from workshop you want to punch in the face?

So, yes. I had my first fiction workshop here and NMSU. Conversationally, it was good. It was like at WWU when everyone wanted to share (but Kate wasn't there to write the order of people as they raised their hand). The problem was many things, though. I really don't want to talk about specific problems with the work, 'cause that's universal, everywhere. My professor told one kid that he didn't see the novel working, that it wasn't possible. He basically said there are only two ends, and both weren't art. (Yes, that bullshit what is art what is genre, that no one really knows, but thinks they do). I said that you can't give narratives an either/or. The professor kept to his guns and half the class started defending his story, even though we all had massive problems with it. The idea was there, and the potential was quite huge. But our professor couldn't get past it. It was infuriating. I like the prof, and he was acting like that asshole in workshop that refuses to accept that it might work. Circles. All of us, tried to move on and talk about how to make it work, and the Prof, kept going, "It won't." And then, there's this one guy. He doesn't say much of anything, except to be an ass. (Remind you of anyone? Hm?). He's this fat fuck, from Minnesota, who thinks when he speaks God has parted the clouds. He sits there in the corner and makes Goddamn faces anytime someone says something nice about a story. Ugh. I will, by the end of the semester, punch him in the face. (Figuratively or not, he will get it). At one point, I made a comment about this guys details of destroyed land, and how the characters are learning to intake information as humans, and the guy goes, "HAVE YOU READ THE ROAD? When the man touches the grass and it turns to ash, that's devastating detail." I just laughed. All day yesterday, even one I ran into, was like, "Yeah, I didn't like that story, but there's no place to tell someone that they can't write something."
*
OK. that's all for my bitching.
*
I just got Informers from netflix. Then the next round is all The Wire.
*
Have a good day.
Love,
Joshua

4 comments:

Ian D said...

RAGE!

Chelsea said...

When you punch him in the face and leave a giant bruise...that will be devastating detail!

Ian D said...

ho snap

Headlights and Vapor trails said...

Awesome, Chelsea, awesome!