Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tuesday Morning.

Indie just jumped into my lap cause for some reason she just has to lick my fingers right now. So, we just finished the first season of the Wire. My God. Can you say Omar? Yes. What a way to end. The show seems to steer away from any sort of hollywood narrative, in that, sometimes it give you what you want (you know that feeling you get when a good guy is about to die, and the bad guys are wavering...you know what scene I'm talking about) but most the time it turns the other way. But its not either/or, the writers seem to take the most realistic choice. And what happens always tugs at your what-the-fuck-just-happened strings, even though, you knew it would happen. Man there's so much to talk about. It's funny. The show is really funny. And at times really tragic. I'm gonna think about it some more. I do like where everyone one ends up. It really funny. And Stringer Bell is, well, you know. D'Angelo was a big surprise to me. It's a shame, he's a good man. OK. that's all for now. Dave and Ian, you were correct. This show is one of the best I've ever seen. I asked Emily if she wants to just watch some of the movies on our queue or keep at the Wire. She said, "I want to keep at the wire." She's hooked.
*
I promised lists:

I always do albums. So, today. Top Ten songs (in no order). These are the songs I'm loving right now, the ones I can't stop listening to.

1. American Flags - David Bazan
2. Ne Mosquitoes Pass _ Joan of Arc
3. Everyone is My Friend - Owls
4. Times They Are a-Changin' - Bob Dylan
5. The Worst Kind of Liars - Waxwing
6. Hussy - Crystal Skulls
7. Reality? As If - Rooftops
8. Down & Able - James William Hindle
9. Kings Crossing - Elliott Smith
10. Angles of the Silences - Counting Crows

OK. Here's my top ten poetry books

1. Lug Your Careless Body Out of the Careful Dusk - Joshua Marie Wilkinson
2. The Lice - WS Merwin
3. Carolina Ghost Woods - Judy Jordan
4. Elegy for the Southern Drawl - Rodney Jones
5. Names Above Houses - Oliver de la Paz
6. The World Doest End - Charles Simic
7. The Southern Cross - Charles Wright
8.Winter Stars - Larry Levis
9. Ultima Thule - Davis McCombs
10. Lead Belly - Tyehimba Jess

And of course, Favorite novels

1. The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
2.Less than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
3. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
4. 100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
5. The World According to Garp - John Irving
6. The Surrounded - D'Arcy McNickle
7. Kavilier and Clay- Michael Chabon
8. The Windup Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
9. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chobosky
10. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

(Yes, I didn't include short story collections by here are my top few: Raymond Carver's Will You Please Be Quiet Please? Andre Dubus' In the Bedroom and Wp Kinsella's Dance Me Outside...)

There ya go. That was fun.

Right now I'm reading The Girl with The Glass Feet by Ali Shaw. It's great! Kind of Gaiman-ish.

For my only poetry class this semester, we're reading five books in the first three weeks and workshopping the rest of the time. I really like that. It takes the pressure off rushing through the readings. I think I might workshop like that when I teach upper level undergrad and grad level.

Em and I have been working out at this Gym called Tom Young's. It's cool and kitschy, and not busy all the time. It's nice. But it feels good to be working out again. Well, that's all for now.

Later.
Love,
Joshua

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is The Wire funny or something?

Dave said...

The Wire is a comedic masterpiece. A sort of urban-Caddyshack, if you will.

In all seriousness, congratulations to both of you on finishing season one. I will just say (not spoiling anything) that season two definitely shifts gears and you'll spend some time getting acquainted with a new slew of characters/different area of Baltimore.