Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's Sunday...

...and Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations is on (Egypt). Emily and I are talking about how much we want to go to Europe (yes, Matt and Chelsea, we want to go to where you are and hang, then venture out into other areas). But we can't afford to. Not for a while. But at least we know we want to go, sooner rather than later. It's depressing being stuck in one place--a place I really don't like--while my friends are either home or out in cool places. Even Ian, where New Hampshire is at least close to cool places...OK. I'm done bitching. I just want to go somewhere cool. Well, I do need a passport, so I think Em and I are gonna try and get some while we're down here. Who knows when we'll get to use it...Juarez, just south of El Paso is drenched in violence, kidnapping, and a whole lot of shit right now connected to the drug cartels...so that's out of the question...

*

OK. I just finished Dexter Season 2. And I'm hooked. Right now, I'm trying to find some online sights that have full episodes to stream for season 3. In the process of looking for Dexter episodes I stumbled upon a little show called Fringe. My God. If you know me at all, you know I was obsessed with X Files (except for the Sister Episode...that shit still gives me nightmares). X Files was amazing--two years ago, I worked my way through all the season up to season 6. Anyway, Fringe is an updated version, and follows some of the same formula, only there are promises of answers, because "the pattern" is acknowledged rather than ignored (like a lot of the shit in X Files). I only a few episodes in, but I love it already, and hope to see it continue for years. Unlike X files all of the cases with weird incidents relate to "the pattern" and to the research done by one of our main characters in the 70s. Fuck, it's good. It doesn't have the holes X files did. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the X files, but I think Fringe is dong something a little cleaner and organized, while X files seemed to be grasping at straws a lot of the time and remaining mysterious for mysterious' sake. Everything was withheld, whereas in Fringe everything discovered leads back to one BIG case..."the pattern." Anyway, Awesome.

*

Well, I'm sure I have more to write, but I smell Emily's cooking (Rice and Lentils in coconut milk)...I'm out!
Love
Joshua

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

1. Drugs, sex, and violence? I have no idea why you're not down there researching your next book!

2. Get a passport. Win the lotto. Come visit me.

3. I LOVE FRINGE!!!!!!!

Ian D said...

I watched three or four episodes of Fringe and just couldn't stand it. I loved the shit out of the X-Files, and Fringe felt like a pretty good post-millenial update of it wrapped in too much camp and characters I wanted to punch in the face (all of them, I hated all of them). Couldn't do it. I hate JJ Abrams. Blah.