Sunday, August 30, 2009

Camping and other things

So, Emily and I went camping this weekend. It was a quick trip, just up over the pass (the pass is a hill. It's pretty much like riding your bike up to Western from downtown--i'm exaggerating), and down a long winding road. Basically, the "mountains" i stare at everyday from Las Cruces...we camped just on the other side. There are pictures on facebook.

It was fun. I haven't been camping in years, and it was nice to get outta the house and town for a day or two. We're gonna go up north to a place with water and stuff in two weeks. I'm stoked.

*

I just looked over my latest manuscript...which probably should be my thesis...and realized it needs a little work. I need to figure out how to format each "type" of poem, and also how to make this novel-in-verse move like a novel...

All this work on poetry is making me want to work on The Story Thief. That novel's been working itself out in my head like crazy...I can't wait to finish a good rough draft of my poetry, get ahead on school work and readings, and then sit down and type out all my chapters that are basically handwritten right now. Soon.

*

I also have to type up the opening scene of a film called Feller. I keep putting it off. But I need to get it done this week. And perhaps work on some more scenes......ahhhhh....

*

I miss my friends from Western. Ian, Kenny, Matt, Chelsea, Eddy, Matt Brown, Cumi, and so many others (I named you guys first cause we hung out the most...), and I miss my professors. School is way different here. I mean, it's similar in ways, but so different. Plus I gotta learn some spanish. I'm gonna get myself a book and start learning. I got three years...and what will be my thesis is pretty close to draft stage, so...I'll have time.

*

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my choice to come here. Part of me regrets it. This town is pretty weak. Why couldn't I have gone to pittsburgh, or chicago, or boston? Well, I can answer that. MONEY. nowhere else could I live like I'm living now. I mean, I can buy food, see movies, pay bills, and go camping. The downside is there's not much else to do. I can't even go to Mexico, cause the town over the border, Juarez, is having crazy murder problems right now. It's fucked. Look it up on the news...murders...

*

On my links wall is a link to Strength and Vision. My buddy Dave writes about music, movies, and stuff. He's hella good. If you want to follow a blog (he's not a daily blogger, but he gets you your fix when you're needing it) check it out. He's good.

*

I get the David Bazan record soon. I'm waiting...

*

Love you,
Joshua

3 comments:

Dave said...

Your shameless flattery is excessive. Still appreciated, though.

But who blogs everyday? I don't even have a job and can't do that. Fucking nerds.

Glad camping went well. What did you eat? Since you couldn't hunt defenseless animals and all. Hope you didn't eat the bad berries. Those things will give you the napalm shits we talked about.

Chelsea said...

Fuck. A personalized shout out? Even if it WAS in list form, and I did share that list with Matt Brown - I'll take it and love you for it.

Dave said...

Here's that righteous secular literature.

The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins)

The End of Faith (Sam Harris)

There's a bit of overlap between the two books in terms of content. But as Kevin Spacey said in Se7en, "wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer." Actually, that sounds a lot like some religious fundamentalist - so scratch that.

I hope they may be of some help in writing your paper.

And I don't know if you read it or not, but I responded to you on The Wire post about the download problems you had with the Bazan album. Obviously you don't need that album now, but if you ever see anything on my blog that interests your ears, you'll need to know how to get it.

Peace, Love and Universal Health Care

Dave