Sunday, August 1, 2010

Hey.

So, my grandpa is dying. Actually, he's been dying for a while, and every time we think we say goodbye, he hangs on. He keeps pushing through.

I wrote an part of an essay about this, and continue to write about it to this day. My relationship with my grandpa is complication to say the least. I love him, but I really don't feel like I know him. Hell, I don't even know much about where he came from and what he did with his life.

I feel bad 'cause I was just talking to Chelsea and didn't mention this to her. I don't know why, but I'm thinking that maybe I've gotten used to the whole "Grandpa is dying...oh, wait, he's not really dying yet." And now, I'm in the state of not making a big deal about it. I mean, it IS a big deal, but that man can fight, and he's hanging in there. I asked my dad how much time he had, and he said, "With my Dad, you never know." So, we're hanging in there with him, thinking about him, and hoping that he stays comfortable and taken care of.

*

So, that's been going on. And I've been working the front desk at a hotel in Redmond. Not a bad job. Writer's. If you ever feel like you need some inspiration, go work at a hotel. I'm not kidding, I've already got ideas, AND found some ways around problems I had in a screenplay that was going nowhere and a novel that I had put behind me. Anyway. It's been good. The people are different. I don't know how to explain it, but it's people who take their job and themselves way too serious, and don't realize that there's a way of doing things. In fact, I was told I "had" to break a labor law the other night. It wasn't a big deal, so I did it. But I went home and double-checked it. And yeah, I was told to break a labor law...awesome. When I told someone about it, she was like, "No, you didn't have to--I don't know why they told you that, but it's just easier to do it this way, and no one gets in trouble." Uh, OK.

Whatever. It's what's expected of the pay. I'm not complaining. I just want to laugh and some of the shit. And the uniforms. Ugh. Maybe I'll take a picture and post it.

*

Em and I are going to hang out, maybe in Seattle today. We're just gonna go do something. It'll be fun.

*

Whatelse. Whatelse. Whatesle.

*

Lots of stuff. But I haven't been reading a lot. Just not enough time. I've been sleeping in. But I want to get on it, so I'll be getting up an hour earlier, just to read. I think. Maybe write. We'll see.

*


2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Dude. You did not mention this in response to "what else is new." Hmmm.

I'm sorry though, which is pretty much all I could see via g-chat anyway. Extended deaths are interesting like that. Anyways, you guys wanna come hang in Seattle on Friday with us? Maybe get lunch?

Joshua Young said...

YES! WE'RE IN! I'm OFF at 3:30. Call me Beeeeeee-aaatch! or email! We're in. Whattacha wanna do? Whattacha wanna do? I wanna Shoop.