Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hello!

So, I've started to realize that it's a real struggle to blog everyday (now that I'm a working man--not in Grad School), but I need to blog because it forces me to write on days that I don't. Yeah Ian, there are days I don't write. So, I've decided that on days I don't write, I'll post something I've written recently, either from Wolves, or my new poetry project, or The Story Thief Book 2. So, hopefully, I'll get a rhythm going, so that I log in and post something.
*
I was listening to The Hold Steady as I ran today. I just can't get enough of that band. But what really draws me to them is that when I listen to records (I only have two and need the rest), I get to revisit characters I've come to know listening to both records. For example, on their third record Boys and Girls in America there's a song about a girl who is clairvoyant (or is she?) and the speaker and her bet on a horse named Chips Ahoy (this was their first single for that release), with their winnings they spend the weekend getting high, but the speaker feels the distance increase and realizes that this girl is fucked up, or at least, not someone he can love...or something (you listen to it and tell me what you think). Now, in their latest release, the speaker reminiscences about "the whole weird thing with the horses" and continues "they [the listener/audience/reader] know exactly what happened, i don't think it needs any explaining..." the song writer is acknowledge that he trusts his audience to make the connection, to continue with the story of these two people. That's just one example, but there are tons of those kinds of connections...and the reach goes back record by record. So when I finally get the funds to listen to all of them, I'll have more to say.
*
In publishing news, I just received my editorial notes from Ooligan Press. They're really great notes and I'm looking forward to my revision. I also have notes from Richard Greenfield, and think that the Ooligan notes directly relate to Richard's in great ways. Once I revise I resubmit and the editors at Oolgian (if they like the changes) will take it the executive board. I'm really stoked my editors are really great and the press is totally NW and have some wonderful titles. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
*
In hiking news, I'm going hiking with Ian tomorrow. We're taking Indie. So, I may have pictures. Ian deserves props for reading and re-reading and making notes for The Story Thief from DAY ONE and through this summer (That's over three years of reading and notes!!!). I owe him big! But also, he deserves props for dealing with how many times we were supposed to hang out that I either forgot about or just got too busy.

Ian: You are the man. I'll miss you when you go back to Hampshire with all those richies.
*
I haven't been reading enough. Right now I'm reading Ishmael. It's slow going, but not because of the writing or the book, but because my mind is thinking about revisions and new projects.
*
I have no pictures to post this time.
*
Later duders,
Joshua

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Yeah, Ian might actually hang out with you...but I'm always here for you on your blog! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY TO THAT?! (see you tomorrow night?)