Thursday, July 22, 2010

Inception, Work, and Stuff

First of all, I just want to say, "I had a blast!" Cumi, Chelsea, Matt, Ian, me, and Ben went to see Inception. That film is amazing. I'm still thinking about it, though, it's pretty brilliant. Even it's exposition is fit so well into where it comes that you don't notice that the director is saying, "OK, audience, here's how the world works." Basically, it's the equivalent of reading a textbook, except the text book is so good you can't stop reading it, you can't even look away. Yeah, killer script. And "Mol" is fucking scary! Chelsea leaned over to me after this really tense scene and said, "I thought Ian said this wasn't scary." I said, "Apparently, Ian is a fucking liar." Ian, I do not think you are a liar, but fuck man, that scene was scary. Creepy, tense, and scary. Everything about this film was perfectly tuned. In fact, when it ended I didn't feel like I had been in there for 2.5 hours. Like when I saw Avatar and I kept thinking, "Fuck when is this over." Not with inception, not with anything Nolan has ever made (except Insomnia...no thank you).
*
I got a job. I work the front desk at a hotel in Redmond. It's weird. It was my third day today...so...I also have interviews at itt-tech and U of phoenix coming up--supplementary jobs...YAY!
*
I've been writing. Mostly The Story Thief Book Two and We're Not Murderers (the present sections, when the daughter of the murdered family discovers that she is the missing child in articles from 21 years ago, and that her father's are actually the murderers, who kept her for 21 years and raised her as her own. Don't worry. You know this on page one.).

I also get back my editorial comments from Ooligan Press this Monday. I make revision and resubmit the manuscript. Hopefully they like my revisions and they can convince the executive board that my book is worth publishing.
*
I'm gonna go for a run now. Or maybe in like 15 minutes. I'm reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I've tried to start four other books and put them down by page two--not cause they're bad, but because I don't feel like working--including, The Satanic Verses and Their Eyes Are Watching God. But I'll pick those up again. My dad is reading Robert Boswells The Heyday of Insensitive Bastards (the first collection of short stories to be picked by Oprah's book club--he also taught at NMSU till halfway through that year). Anyway, my Dad loves it. Check it out. From what I've heard it's his best book, though it's hard to believe he can top his book on writing.
*
OK. I'm gonna hang with Em before my run.
Love
Joshua

2 comments:

Ian D said...

Meh, I just have a higher tolerance for scary French women than you or Chelsea, apparently. I'm reading Olive Kitteridge, and FUCK MAN, you have to read it. The first story in the book gave me chills it was so good. Hiking soon, or coffee or something.

Chelsea said...

HA. Ian CLEARLY has a high tolerance for scary French women. I have no idea why that would be...*cough*

Also, Satanic Verses? If you're going to do Rushdie, I would suggest Midnight's Children. It was my favorite for a long time. Yes, I used to have favorite books that were not written for people 15 and under.