Saturday, April 3, 2010

Wendy and Lucy

If you haven't seen this film, see it. It's beautiful and minimal, and I couldn't stop watching. Sure, it's a slow moving film, but the tension that rises from each moment accumulates. It's a simple film, and while I don't want to SPOIL anything, let's just say I'm not a "fan" of the way it ends, but cinematically, that was the only way for it to end. It just made sense, but it broke my heart.
*
First of all, the cinematography was really crisp and simple, but it had this warmth and subtly to it that really kept the frame undisturbed. Michelle Williams is also very BOMB. And I don't just say that cause I think she's really pretty and super cute, but because this girl can act! Brokeback Mountain is just a glimpse of what she can do (and that was fucking mind-blowing!). Now the director is a Northwest Gal, and her last two films were shot in and around Portland. Nothing like a good NW film. But, she doesn't choose to make these films be landmarked and labeled, she keeps the camera's frame focused on the immediacy of each moment, only allowing glimpses of the little worlds of the Northwest. Yeah, it's clearly NW, but the film isn't swallowed by the landscape, but rather exists within it. It becomes part of the frame. It's invisible, yet it informs. OK, enough of that. Just go rent it. If you have netflix you can watch it instantly.
*
I just wrote a poem about my Seattle of the 90s. I just kept thinking about how I was unaware of the Nirvanas and Soundgardens and Pearl Jams till they were coming to me through the TV. All the while, just minutes from my stomping ground, these bands were playing clubs and houses, and I was just getting ready for baseball games, or something.
*
OK, back to writing and watching TV.

Peace out,
Joshua

No comments: