Friday, December 26, 2008

Shitty Films and Bukowski

So, Em and I rented the Other Boleyn Girl and although I've never read the book (em informs me that not only is it horribly OFF both in relation to the book and HISTORY), but is awful. I mean, come on! You got Bana! You got history with kings and queens and adultery that's pretty fucking dramatic and crazy by itself. How could you fuck it up? Ugh. I'm disgusted. I guess if you shoot with semi-natural lighting and everyone speaks with accents and there's a rape scene (btw that never happened in the book, nor history) then it must be edgy and good... But, mmm, Bana looks good.

**

But enough of that. I'm gonna read Twilight. Yes, Twilight. I'm close to finishing up Ham on Rye, but I'm taking a break from that to read some teen-angsty vampire stuff.

Speaking of Ham on Rye and Bukowski...as an undergraduate there were many kids who wrote stories like his, only the ones in workshops weren't good, and for that matter Bukowski himself would've been torn apart by workshops...Why? Cause workshops are were egos start colliding with each other, and everyone wants to put the people who are taking leaps and doing something different into the trash can...Well, not all workshops...the last two years have been pretty rad, and before that (as a senior at WWU), there were only a few bad seeds. But the thing about Bukowski is that nothing happens. I mean, stuff happens, but the character almost always turns from conflict, and consequence seems to not affect him. OK. I don't think I'm being clear. Example: Chapter Henry is at his friend's house, drunk, and Henry's telling his friend that he's gonna sex up his mom, but when this mom comes home Henry tells her, and she after saying, he's just a kid and stuff like that, says ok, lets do it. Then Henry says, you're a whore or something like that and leaves. All talk. Maybe that's the best way to say. Bukowski's writing is all talk. It skits around any sort of plot just sort of roves and moves around, and what's important are the characters, the time, and what's not being said.

**

I'm obsessed with this new David Bazan song "American Flags." It's amazing. Download it.

**

Seattle tommorow for the delayed christmas celebration with my mom.

No comments: