Friday, January 21, 2011

So Soon?

Yes. Only because it's late and there's a Criminal Minds on that I've seen before, and I've submitted all the stuff that needs to be submitted, and I just finished revising a new story, and Emily is putting Elliot to bed, and Indie is passed out on the couch.

Emily and I are cleaning out our book collection. 25% is the goal. There are so many books I have that I don't need, will never read again, and will never need for a project. It's painful to put books in to the selling-to-half-price-books pile. There are some Vonnegut books, Coupland, Robbins, Lewis, Cunningham, and more. I'm tempted to give away all my Bret Easton Ellis, but I won't give up on his early work just cause his new one sucked so bad.

I'm still picking through Beasley's latest book. It's really good, but his poems demand a slow read, rather than just pushing through. Next up is Noah Eli Gordon and Ben Lerner. I'm looking forward to those.

I'm started to get Columbia College emails and reminders. It's a ways away but it's cool to start getting those. There are some cool possibilities for next year and I hope they work out...I know, I'm being vague. I'll share when I'm ready.

OK. Never seen Road House. Should I? I see commercials for it every day. Swayze is the shit, but Road House? Thoughts?

This is the most random blog ever. I'm just jumping from thought to thought. Example:

Finally finished a good draft of a review I've been working on since Elliot was born. It has sucked and sucked, but I think it might be OK now. Emily's gonna read it. Maybe I'll send to it others.

I'm bummed that I can't go to AWP this year, though next year it will be in Chicago, so hopefully ALL MY FRIENDS will come and hang out there with us. I don't know if we'll have floor space, but by then I'll know some people. I can't wait to fill my house with lit mags, then months later give them away.

I haven't written a poem in a while. It feels good to take a break. I'm letting my projects stew. I took a look at a couple manuscripts the other day and got some great ideas for the next revisions. Good times approach. Stoked to see what Chas does with our project.

I've been writing a lot of Magical Realism/Pseudo-Fantasy/Pseudo-Thriller stuff. It's been fun. I can't stop. I've got a bunch of little ideas. I write till they catch. I've had about five not catch and I've given up, but my latest (about a ghost who haunts this guy 'cause the ghost is stalking his ex, who is the main guy's girlfriend) started out as one page, just dialogue, and turned into a nice little short story. I'm working on one about a bank robbery where the bad guys start singing, the singing is infectious...but that sounds like it could be close to a Switchfoot video. We'll see if it catches. Any ideas? Throw me ideas. I'll try 'em out. God knows, I steal half my shit from Ian Denning anyway.

I'm excited to see Keep it Cinematic. I hope my brother takes my advice on structure. If not, I'll never forgive him...just kidding.

I've been putting off working on the second book of The Story Thief till I have time to really write out the first chapter, but I've got tons of notes and outlines. Maybe this summer. Maybe next summer. Maybe when I sell the first one. We'll see. But let me tell you, it gets fucking whack as shit (in a good way).

OK. Hopefully that whetted your Josh-blog appetite. Expect something soon. Oh, and I'll blog on the other blog before this one again. Probably about how Elliot likes to mumble and groan and speak gibberish when we sit and watch TV or play on the floor. It's adorable. Seriously adorable.

Winter Coats and Scarves,
J.



2 comments:

Chelsea said...

You should write about me.

Ian D said...

ROAD HOUSE! Do it. And send me your review. Do it.