Friday, January 28, 2011

LUUUUUUDDDDDDAAAAAAA!!!!

I can't help it. I can't stop. I'm writing stories. They're still steeped in the Magical. I'm working on one about a Lighthouse and a kid who disappears. I'm revising it right now. I'm working on another one about a brother who's obsessed with Ludacrious and buys his cell phone number, then hangs out with him--shenanigans ensue. I'm fiddling with the idea of a kid who sets fires for money, but it seems to be just floating in the not-quite-working category, though I can't get the image of a kid burning down a high school out of my brain. I WON'T GIVE UP! Though, I probably should.

I do, however, need to gear up for some poetry, as Chas has sent me a few selections of his work for our project. It's dope, and I'm excited to tackle it. I got ideas. I'm sure Chas does too.

I also NEED to start organizing This is the Way to Rule. I think this might be my thesis at Columbia. Though, most of the work (i think/hope) will be structure and organization and form. My newest book, Bellingham Vs. Las Cruces, is looking pretty good. There's a couple poems that need tinkering, but the arc of the book is there--Cruces, Bellingham, Thinking about Cruces in the NW. Tinker. Tinker.

I've been submitting the shit out of my poems. Some are single subs, and some are simultaneous. I'm thinking that a few of the poems from Wolves rely too heavily on the narrative (and that's part of the resistance), so I may put them together and chapbook 'em (yes I used chapbook as a verb!! HA!). We'll see. I put all the letters from Wolves together, and submitted it as a story. Speaking of Wolves, I just got a story accepted about a pack of wolves in a city terrorizing a family already terrorized by the father. Black Heart Magazine. Boom.

Recent Publications (stories) - "Rainfall and a God Who Looks Like Bowie" (Bartleby Snopes); "The Forest in Our Home' (Ghost Ocean - I'll be featured as a printed sneak peek at AWP. So, swing by their table...IAN); "Wolves in the City" (Black Heart Magazine). I also just got a really nice rejection letter from the Collagist (one of my grails).

Here is a list of my grails:
Puerto del Sol
Bellingham Review
Hobart (Print)
Mudlucious
Ninth Letter
Columbia Poetry Review
McSweeney's
Tin House
Collagist
5x5 (Ian!)
Weave
Salt Hill
Flatmancrooked
TLR

I'm waiting for responses from about half of those. Mcsweeney's is almost 300 days. But I don't want to submit somewhere else and have them say yes...even though they're not gonna pick my story, even though it's the best story I've ever written (And it makes my Dad mad, 'cause it's about him as a kid, and he's pissed that his "friends" and "him" sound like my friends and me).
Maybe I'll submit to Tin House. That's fine journal. We'll see if I can bring myself to do it.

I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to know how to submit. Ian and I have been talking about this a bit here and there. I think when I land myself a cushy job at some college I'll teach a course about submitting to journals, publishers, agents, and programs (among other things). Assignments would be researching, submitting, and logging.

*

Teaching. It was rough draft day. 7 kids showed up. Hmfpt. I gave them extra credit. The kids that show up are really, really great. Smart too. Even the kid who's trouble. He's a great student and a smart kid.

I don't want to talk about other school things. I get frustrated with where I'm at.

*

I know I talk about Counting Crows a lot, but I just listened to some shit of their today and thought, "Fuck this guy is sincere." He's not being ironic or melodramatic (most the time). He's telling the audience how he feels privately and in public. I see so much insincerity or irony or tongue-jammed-into-cheek or fucking cool-points. I just want honesty and vulnerability, not contrived by the need to produce images or emotions. I just want something that doesn't feel like it's being over-produced. Does that make sense?

I can't stand reading shit like that, or hearing, or watching. It bugs me. OK. End little Rant.

But seriously, the Counting Crows.

*

Albums I've been bumping

Gaslight Anthem - 59 sound
The Hold Steady - Heaven is Whenever
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot in People
The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Boat - Setting the Paces
The Cure - Disintegration
David Bazan - Curse Your Branches
Lemuria - Get Better
Race Track - Go Ahead and Stay
Vampire Weekend - Contra
The Velvet Teen - Elysium

*

I've been slacking on my reading. Em's reading Never Let Me Go. I'm gonna snag than when she's done.

*

I hope this suffices, loyal readers.

*

I'm envious of tumblr. It's so neat looking. Mmmm.

*

Bye.

J.

.



7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Dude, get on tumblr. It's not like you don't have enough words/thoughts to maintain like five billion blogs.

Anonymous said...

tumblr is scary and i don't get how it works. me simple, me dumb.

Ian D said...

Chelsea is right, also tumblr is the shit. There interface is so much better than Blogger's it's not even funny.

I WILL swing by that table at AWP. I'll also be swinging by Mid-American Review's table, because apparently they're sneak-peeking their new issue and I want to find out if I'm in it, because the dude STILL hasn't told me. It will be a surprise.

I've been slacking on the writing. School's starting up, teaching, friends back in town, etc. Blah.

Ian D said...

Also, Ludakris? Seriously? That's fucking weird and awesome.

Joshua Young said...

LUUUUUUUDDDDDDAAAAAA!!!

Have fun at AWP.

Thinking about Tumblr, but I don't want to abandon my blog...but I'll find something to go to tumblr for.

Dave said...

I can tell the Luda story is going to be a banger. Good to see you jamming Lemuria. Will have to hook you up with their new one.

Joshua Young said...

And I REALLY NEED the latest Gaslight Anthem! I need it. I'm working on a stack of CDs for you, including Arcade Fire and other goodies.