Saturday, November 6, 2010

Another Blog Post

OK. During my last post I did not mention. Stone Temple Pilots, who seemed to be roaming around in that Grunge-era. At the very least, they're overplayed on the End. And unlike many other bands that I might approve of hearing, I can't stand to hear STP. They're not bad, they're just OK. How they got so huge? I don't know. They're lyrics aren't bad, just OK. Song writer, OK. Sound of recordings, OK. Maybe it's Scott's craziness. I don't know. Fellas if you disagree, I understand. I mean, I do. I can see how people would like this band, and actually, for a while I did too. But as of late, I've really been dreading hearing the End play them, oh, and Sublime. Yuck...though, I like one song (and I don't care what you say): "What I Got."

But enough about music for the time being.

I've been on a submitting rampage. I've sent one through the mail, at least fifteen through the CLMP online submission manager, close to twenty through the Submishmash mananger (Submishmash is awesome! Unlike the Clmp thing, there's a base of "my submissions" that you view. So, it's kind of like Duotrope, but only for Submishmash), a couple though email, and like one through a submission form. I hate email subs, post subs, and sub-forms. You can't see what's going on. CLMP, even though you only know if they got it or rejected it, at least you know they have it. Anyway, now's the waiting game.

I just watched Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. Jim Halpert, I don't know what kind of film you were trying to make, but it wasn't very good. For one, as Emily put it, "It sounds like monologues," and "No one talks like this." For two, the way he shot and cut it, really disrupted what could've been fluid. I know that's probably his aim, but it got to be pretty convoluted, and the things that were good (a handful of the interviews, some awkward scenes between people, Christopher Meloni, and the way in which he would have scenes where people where explaining a scene, happen as they are explaining it, in the scene...does that make sense. Think Reservoir Dogs bathroom scene with Tim Roth and two cops.) But mostly it was a let down. And the way they talked to each other...just not good.

Did I tell you I'm re-reading American Gods. I'm still at it. I only read it in bed. Mad Sweeney just came and told Shadow he needs the coin back. But Shadow didn't have it.

I'm supposed to be writing a review for the B'ham review. I get the book next week. I'm stoked to read the book, and I expect to like it.

I've had trouble writing anything new lately. I got a poem out, after like four-hundred drafts that went no where. But I can't write new stuff. Everything is stuff within stuff that's already going. Like certain books of poems, or certain sequels to certain books I've just finished. It's hard, 'cause I have idea for stuff, but my brain just won't let me go for it. I think it knows how much I've already started. Like my little band book/script. I can maybe write a page before my brain shuts off. So, I've just been doodling when I can think of something. Eventually, I'll have to go through those "notes" and see what I have brewing.

I did, however, find the perfect first chapter for The Story Thief: Book Two.

It's a piece I wrote in New Mexico that started as a play/film in Bellingham. That just never seemed to pick up the steam I wanted it to. No one could believe that a guy who wanted to protect people would tie them up to protect them. And the stuff that led up to it, people didn't believe. So, I gutted that (though, mark my words something I write will have these scenes it it!!!! Cause they're awesome, I think) and made the scene turn into an extraction. Two guys come to a house to murder people for accidentally killing their wives, but when they get there they hear a baby crying, and one of them can't do it. They argue one storms off. And this is where the story will fork into Story Thief land. I just typed it out, the synopsis and realized the spoiler I just produced. I'm stoked about it, I'll say that.

Well, I got my blogging in today, and I don't expect to be able to blog for the next couple days, but keep checking back, you never know.

Later,
J

1 comment:

Choppyrocks said...

You know I have followed STP through their entire career and have rarely ever thought of them as more than mediocre. What pisses me off about them is that showed a lot of promise, but just never quite put it together, never quite got past surface-level pleasantries.

Oh, and I didn't answer your question from your last post. Yes, I'm still working on it. Got some great (I think) new stuff going for it, but going is also slow. Haven't been submitting though. My submission habits are terrible.