Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A quick one

Hello,

Workshops were good this week. The people who are usually harmful to the workshop were either quiet or very helpful and agreeable. It was good and with the exception of a few things, people were really working towards helping the writer rather than telling them what was wrong. And in the poetry workshop, our prof is really demanding that we as responders remain specific about our critiques. No abstractions, or generalities (unless it is referring to the packet as a whole). Sometimes, poets tend to privilege work and give credit where credit is not due, but in the long run it's good, because it sparks a conversations that shows both sides, and the people with real evidence (evidences that isn't reaching or out of left field) to stand in the end.

There are a couple things from fiction I just wanted to bring up. Ian let me know if this is an issue in your case. Absolutism. (Remember when Kalpakian said we couldn't EVER use It to start a sentence?) We are only allowed one "wink" in a story. It's frowned upon if characters look too much, or if the action shows characters looking. First person is not really expected as a POV unless it's absolutely necessary. So, someone who's comfortable writing that way is pretty much told they shouldn't. Weird. What else. Oh, if anything is familiar, then it should go (But on the same token if anything is too strange its cut). Dialogue can't be too real--yeah, I admit, my gets a little too much like that, but I'm not the only one who gets the shit for it. What else...There's more. I'll make a list and post it soon. It's interesting the way that this workshop seems to be pushing away from "new" writing and towards a homogenized story. That's scary. Oh, I think I've mentioned this, but if anyone gets a whiff of genre, then its all over. There are these rules that keep piling on every workshop, and instead of resisting these rules, some embrace them, and based their comments solely on these rules.

Anyway, enough of that.

I'm going to AWP. I got a ride there and a ride back. I'm stoked. My dad's sending me money so I can buy him some books at the bookfair. I'm excited. I'm gonna try to save a little so I can buy some books. YES!

Chabon will be touched by my hand. Oh yes, he will be touched. Or maybe I'll just get an autograph.

I just got Oliver de la Paz's new book in the mail Requiem for the Orchard I'm excited to read it. I read the first poem and it's fantastic. He's really evolved through all his books, and while his first book will always be one of my favorites, I have a feeling that this one is going to be an important book in American poetry. I've been reading pieces of it in zines and stuff, and seeing them put together feels like it's going to be something special.

Emily and I are going to Chicago next week to visit one of her friends, eat some vegan food, and check out the city. Maybe see Rooftops (who will be passing through when we're there). I'm excited Chicago is a cool town and some of my favorite bands are from there. My favorite poet lives there too. Actually, it's a poetry-centric town. or so I've heard--birthplace of SLAM. Which is funny, if you've ever seen me imitate Slam poets. If not, just ask, I will recite something next time I see you.

OK. This wasn't that short, but it was short enough.

I'll leave you with a picture of Las Cruces/Mesilla Valley from the top (almost the top) of A mountain. It's basically a lump of a hill with an A at the top. Indie likes to hike it with us. Though, it's been cold and we haven't done it in a while. Maybe later this week.

Love Joshua

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

CHICAGO! Hooray! That sounds like a fun trip :)

Ian D said...

"You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone! Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?"

--Sean Connery from "The Untouchables"

Just thought I'd share that. Also, the workshop's relationship to absolutism is interesting. Here, it depends on the prof. We'll talk more about this at AWP, or possibly in later blog posts, but right now I'm sitting in my apartment in my underwear and people are coming over soon.

Oh, also, how's this for hypocrisy: I was just told that I use the word "fuck" too many times in a story. Ha ha!

Also, I GOT FUCKING FUNDING! I'm not supposed to know yet and word hasn't officially gone out, so keep it on the down-low RE: Facebook and stuff, but I'm going to be a TA. Sweet.

Anonymous said...

Dude! Way to GO! Both on the funding and also on the use of Fuck. NO, no. no. In my opinion you do not use the word FUCK enough. God, what would they say if I was there?

Yes, later blog posts and for sure at AWP. I'm really interested in putting together a panel for next year...but we have time, lots of it.

Later,
and put some pants on,
Joshua