Thursday, December 17, 2009

Winter Break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. So my grading is done, my portfolios are in, and I just got back from our mini-vacation in Vegas (we met My brothers and their signifs). It was a blast and we're back.
*
I've been very disappointed about things lately, but I'm feeling OK. I've got a lot to do this break--mostly things I've been forced to put on the back burner for time reasons (not really, time, 'cause the pace here is so slow, more likely I just wanted the time to really work on some stuff).
*
I just finished two books:
The Half-Known World - Robert Boswell. Hands down the BEST book on writing fiction I have ever read! I'm not kidding. So, good. Memoir-like, yet very focused on writing. Boswell--who has decided to leave NMSU after I get here--seems to be on the same wave length as me and many of my writing buddies (you know who you are). So, go find this and read it. SO GOOD.
The Road - Cormac McCarthy. Ian, I finally read this. And I couldn't put it down. Finished it (like the Boz book) in two days. Now, I want to write a post-apocalyptic novel...
*
Right now I'm reading A Prayer for Owen Meany (I taking this slow), and House Keeping by Marilynne Robinson. Yes, and Ian's stories...
*
I just finished typing up the rough-rough draft of The Story Thief. I'm reading over it and making notes, and hopefully will start reshaping it the rest the break and have a rough draft for people to look at.
*
I thought I had more to say, but I'm gonna get back to my duty on the couch with my Wife and my dog, and watch Iron Chef America.
*
Love
Joshua

1 comment:

Ian D said...

Yeah, read my stuff, and then send along The Story Thief so I can read your stuff. Gotta pick up that Boswell book. Right now I'm reading Lethem's "Fortress of Solitude." I'm not sure what I think about it yet. We'll have to see. Bummed you won't be in the PNW over the break.