Saturday, December 5, 2009

Snow and the End of the Semester

So, it has snowed here twice in the last week (maybe two weeks). Which is weird. It's actually pretty cold in this mug, and I can wear my coat. Which is nice. Indie had some fun in the snow--didn't really know what to do with it, but when I took her out yesterday afternoon she wanted to frolic through it. I won't post pictures, 'cause I think Em put them up on the book that is face.
*
It's the end of the semester and I've got 26 papers to grade (well 24, 'cause I graded two already: one A all the way--she's from Washington--and a C+. The C+ has made extreme strides in his writing and is starting to understand how to make an argument, but my God, he won't listen to hardly anything. In fact, he makes comments about things that are so general and I'll say, "Dude, that's not true," and he'll look at me like I don't know anything about life. YOU'RE 18 WTF do you know about anything!? One example: He said, "All my teachers say I have a great voice, I just have bad syntax, grammar, and spelling." I said, "Voice don't mean shit if you're distracted by the errors. I mean, it's true you have a strong voice, but it took me over an hour to read this 8 pages, because I had to sift through all the errors. If you want your voice to come through, take the time, to really proofread." He looked at me and rolled his eyes, and goes, "Uh, yeah, I don't think so. Anyway...") So, this weekend I'll be grading as well as getting my porfolios for my classes done. Basically, I just have to revise one essay and print everything...which is easy, except that I'm out of ink and out of my paper quota at school (they give you maybe 200 prints. That is note enough for a graduate student. Fucking cheapskates!) But I'll probably be all done with everything by Monday...including entering my grades. Fun times.
*
I finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. You all need to read it. Actually, read American Gods first then Anansi Boys.
*
VEGAS: 8 Days! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
*
I watched Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen last night. Holy Fucking Christ! It's so bad, but the effects are so good! I like two maybe three of the actors, but there's so much time wasted on them, and not enough of the Transformers. But when they are onscreen, yes! Emily kept saying, get rid of the humans and have it take place in space. Then she said we need to watch the cartoon. I'm down for that. Maybe netflix has it. Anyway, don't bother seeing it if you haven't. It's sort of waste of time. But if you want to see massive explosions and some transforming, then by all means...
*
I went over to my professors place with my class on Thursday and ate Vegetarian Chili and cornbread and hung out. That guy has so many books he had to have a separate room just for books. I thought I had a lot of books! Not even close. They wrapped around one room and went into another.
*
OK. That's all for now. I hope you all have a good Holiday! Those of you going home to Pac. NW, say high to Seattle and Bellingham for us. Tell those cities we miss them.
Love,
Joshua

1 comment:

Dave said...

I applaud your use of "mug" to indicate your surroundings. That is a dying word from the 90's that could really use a comeback.